Maple Bourbon Blueberry Sauce
yields approximately 2 1/2 cups of sauce
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan set over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, or until the blueberries have mostly burst and the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Serve the sauce immediately, or allow it to cool first (both taste amazing). It pairs well with vanilla ice-cream, but also works great for things like pancakes and waffles.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight jar (or container), in the refrigerator, for up to a month, and easily reheated (if desired) within a few minutes on the stovetop.
This sauce can be made without the whiskey. Just decrease the amount of maple syrup to 1/4 cup.
You can use brown sugar in place of the maple syrup.
This recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled.