makes about 28-30 tacos
- 2 pounds cooked lobster meat, chunked
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped + more for garnish
- Shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup mango, finely diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- Taco shells (or you can use taco boats for a play on lobster rolls)
- In a large mixing bowl, gently stir together the lobster meat, lime juice, red onion, mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of cilantro.
- To assemble the tacos, layer a bit of shredded cabbage on the bottom of each taco shell. Then place about 2 tablespoons of the lobster mixture on the bed of cabbage. Garnish with mango, avocado and additional cilantro (if desired). Serve immediately.
For pre-cooked lobster meat chunks, check your local seafood market, or the seafood counter at your local grocery store. They should have it on hand, but they may also need to order it in advance, so I recommend calling to double check.
Once the tacos are assembled they should be served immediately. However, the lobster mixture can be made in advance (no more than 24 hours), then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, until you're ready to assemble the tacos.
This recipe is a bit of a twist on a classic lobster roll meats a taco, so I used taco boats to mimic a roll, and we used mayonnaise in the meat mixture, as one would do for a lobster roll. However, feel free to use a different kind of taco shell, and eliminate the mayonnaise for a lighter recipe.
photo by Mathew Trogner for Allagash