Blueberry Habanero Salsa
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (I like yellow or heirloom tomatoes, but any type of tomato will work fine)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 habanero peppers
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Roughly chop the blueberries and place into a large bowl. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic and cilantro and mix together.
- Next, seed and chop the habanero peppers and toss it into the blueberry bowl along with the sugar, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
While this can be enjoyed right away, it tastes even better if it has some time to sit and let all the flavors meld together. For the best taste, try making this 24 hours in advance. Then, keep it covered and refrigerated until just before enjoying.
If fresh blueberries aren't available, you can use frozen ones. Just be sure to let them defrost completely, then drain off any liquids, before using.
This recipe can easily be doubled, or cut in half.