I have a serious love-hate relationship with manicures. I love the look of well-polished nails, and switching up polishes is an easy way to accessorize an outfit. But I can not keep a mani chip-free if my life depended on it. Seriously. I’ve tried. So while I continue to give myself pedicures on the regular, I’ve resorted to giving my fingers what I refer to as a ‘natural nails manicure’. It’s an easy, quick, no-polish required process that gives you naturally nice nails. I grew up watching my Mom give herself these manicures, it was the first mani I was allowed to have (since no harmful polishes were involved), and because of how easy and resilient it is, it continues to be a favorite way to keep my nails in tip top condition. Here’s what you need to do to give yourself your own natural nails manicure:
White Nail Pencil (I use Sally Hansen’s, but there’s also this, this or this)
Oil (I use coconut, olive, apricot, Vitamin E….basically whatever I have on hand)
Cuticle Pusher (I use the one on the Sally Hansen pencil)
1. Prep your nails by cleaning, trimming, and filing them to the desired shape.
2. Rub a tiny drop of oil onto each nail, concentrating on the cuticle area.
3. Use the cuticle pusher to push each cuticle down.
4. Take the white pencil and slightly dampen it. Then, with a firm hand, run it under each nail tip once or twice.
6. Use the pencil every few days to freshen your white tips.