Growing up, my Mom did everything she could to make sure every holiday was a special one. She ensured that things were always festively decorated, that we had an abundance of themed treats, and that my sister and I always had an assortment of holiday crafts to keep us busy. For Valentine’s day we would make homemade cards as well as heart-shaped jam filled cookies. To this day I can’t resist making my own Valentines (as is documented in 2014 and 2013). While there are certainly plenty of cute store-bought options, I like making people feel extra-special and extra-loved with homemade cards. After all, an extra dose of love only seems fitting for a holiday all about love….
You will need: Pipe cleaners, various ribbons, scissors (regular and fancy-edged), markers or pens, card stock, stickers (optional)
1. To make a heart, start by cutting a pipe cleaner in half.
2. Take one of the halves and bend it in half to form a ‘v’ shape.
3. Curl the ends around and in to form the top of the heart.
4. Overlap the ends slightly, then twist them together and tuck them up to help your heart hold its shape.
5. To create the stem, cut another pipe cleaner in half. Create a hook/upside-down ‘u’ at one end of one of the halves. Hook the ‘u’ around the middle of the heart and then tightly twist the end together with the stem to secure the heart.
6. Create little love notes.
7. Use string or ribbon to attach the notes to the heart “flowers”.
8. Hand out your notes to loved ones. For someone extra-special, give them an entire bouquet!